In the fourth grade classroom, we approach learning with enthusiasm and engagement. The small class size allows for an exceptional level of attention and interaction between teacher and students, with the freedom to build, explore, and expand knowledge and understanding.
- In Reader’s Workshop, boys engage daily with books to improve fluency, comprehension, and broaden reading interests.
- Through the Writer’s Workshop cycle, boys practice editing and revising their work, with an eye for proper grammar, clear descriptive writing, and developing final published pieces. Boys complete 4th grade with a sizeable portfolio of written work.
- In Math, boys learn mathematical processes in stages—using concrete representations, then pictures, and finally abstract numbers— and develop the strong foundational understanding of operations and critical thinking skills that will carry them through middle-school algebra and beyond.
- The guiding theme of Humans and their Impact on the Earth and Each Other connects the various areas of study in the 4th grade curriculum, and allows the frequent intertwining of California History, Life and Earth Sciences, Social Justice, and Environmentalism.
- Gardening, field trips, hands-on science, and service-learning opportunities create meaningful learning experiences for the boys.
Our small group creates a dedicated and meaningful community of learners. We take care of each other and support each other through the exciting journey that is 4th grade at PBA.